The Future of Animation in LiveCode

Bjoernke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Feb 17 09:42:15 EST 2015

I agree that additional features like SVG import or access to a phyiscs engine would make things possible that are now not possible. In a similar vein, multimedia problems like the slowness of using gifs for animated images, as well as the general lack of movie format support could be addressed to make some things easier or possible to begin with.

One of the main problems however will not be fixed in the foreseeable future, or possibly ever: LC can't enforce animation times. Namely it's not possible to force a screen redraw, or other actions, based on a timer, ignoring wether previous calculations have finished or not. In LC, all timers simply laps when there's too much processing, which means that any animation with more then 10-20 moving parts is impossible to keep in frame, and therefore impossible to make not lag.

Now it is of course possible to just create laggy animated games, or games where animation lag has no consequences besides production value. But for most simple games that _depend_ on animation, like shooters (Asteroids, shmups) or jump'n run (Super Mario, Flappy Bird), lagginess will kill the gameplay. Those games will therefore remain to be impossible to make with LC in the foreseeable future.

--

Chat with other LC people:
http://bjoernke.com/chatrev

Use a better dictionary in the IDE: