Answer File DIalog

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Feb 15 13:37:13 EST 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:

 > When I select Open from the Textedit File menu, I see a dropdown menu
 > of encodings to be used when I select a file.
 >
 > Is there a way to have that menu appear with the LC answer file
 > dialog?

This isn't a filter option, but merely a way for the user to provide
additional info to the app when selecting a file (because of course
users fully understand text encodings and can provide helpful info there
<g>).

I haven't played with Mac APIs since the ol' Inside Mac days, but back
then you could get a handle to the standard GetFile dialog and populate
the lower portion of it with any additional controls you like.

My guess would be that this particular addition isn't a single API call
call, but a custom enhancement using some Cocoa method similar to the
old Dialog Manager routines.

As such, this seems like a good job for LiveCode 8, in which we'll be
able to directly access OS APIs for this sort of thing.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems