Postgres SSL connection?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:35:32 EST 2015

It appears that, for reasons I cannot begin to imagine, SSL is only
supported for mySQL database connections, and not postgres.

Is this correct?  Does anyone know if there are plans to implement SSL for
postgres?

At the moment, it seems that my only options are to either accept the
limitations of mySQL or to run a server on the postgres server that will
keep a socket open an dlisten to it.

The "usual" solution that I find of server-side scripts that open a
database, run the query, and close it appear to be hard-core
nonstarters--it seems to take a significant fraction of a second to open a
database, even locally, and the queries every couple/few seconds need to
remain transparent to the user.

Writing to the socket with a return message has strong appeal, and is
likely my best bet in any event, as it will allow the program to function
on a laggy connection.

Nonetheless, ssl for postgres seems not to be a feature request, but
dealing with a massive security bug.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462