[not quite OT] Serving a standalone
prothero at earthednet.org
Sun Feb 8 13:05:54 EST 2015
I think that you should think in terms of “licenses” rather than apps downloaded when trying to enforce limits. Education, nowadays is less centralized and students want to be able to access resources from multiple places. School, home, mobile phones, tablets. Then, if there is too much setup for the teacher, it will not get used at all. In an elementary classroom setting, having the app exclusively installed on classroom computers might be an option, but there will be teachers who want different configurations too.
I’ve seen sites where elementary students get math practice and their scores are stored at the vendor’s web site. There are a lot of variations. Hopefully the coming HTML5 export will make it easier to integrate Livecode apps into a web delivery. The main advantage of this is the ease of updating the software. There will be bugs in your code. No avoiding it unless you have some kind of divine intervention. Some kind of automatic or simple updating is really helpful.
Another possibility that comes to mind is a multi-station license for schools, and then distribute the app on the App Store for low cost if students want to access the materials from other computers.
I think it would be helpful, in this discussion, to develop a “use case” or two. That would help focus the discussion on the appropriate strategy.
William A. Prothero
> On Feb 8, 2015, at 8:39 AM, Earthednet-wp <prothero at earthednet.org> wrote:
> I've had a lot of experience doing this for a 300seat oceanography class. I used my own server to store student work. Students downloaded the software in this instance. They were identified by a 7 digit number. I used a combination of files uploaded and downloaded to a local temp folder, and a MySQL database on my server. Students used my app to gather Earth data, edit and annotate images, and write papers, and review each other's papers, etc. it was pretty complex and modern learning management system do much of this now. There was no licensing because I never did develop that work into a commercial product. Bugs were a major issue until I developed an update system that let me post
More information about the Use-livecode