Player Object in HTML 5?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 19 15:10:48 EST 2015

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > Did you expect to be able to deploy commercial HTML5 apps with
 > community?

It's a minor point but perhaps worth offering a reminder that the
distinction isn't about commercial, but about *proprietary*.

The GPL doesn't in any way restrict commercial activities with software.
Its requirements focus on sharing source code.

For those who derive revenue solely from per-user licenses this
distinction may not be all that important, since of course if the source
is freely available everyone is one Standalone Builder moment away from
having the finished app.

But over the last decade many business models have evolved with revenue
streams beyond per-use licenses for software.  SaaS, PaaS, and other
service-oriented models are increasingly popular, and indeed many of the
tech industry's hottest startups are based around open source technology.

It's been estimated that as much as 90% of software is written "for use
rather than for sale", and for those projects sharing the source means
additional features, maintenance, and support from the community at no
cost to the originator, so the software grows to accommodate an
ever-large variety of use cases for a win-win for all.

Even though my proprietary LC licenses are prepaid many years in
advance, right now the majority of projects I'm working on are for
in-house workgroup support tools where the GPL-governed version would
work equally well.   In fact, once they get mature enough portions of
those projects may be released under GPL for the reasons I've noted
above, to get more eyeballs on the code and new enhancements beyond my
own limited current needs.

That said, even when using open source software I often contribute back
to the core team.  It's in the interest of my business, my clients'
businesses, and our end-users to make sure the stewards of the
technologies we rely on are well taken care of.

I contribute to the Ubuntu project and others, and maintain an
individual membership with the Linux Foundation for these reasons.  I
have no obligation to do so, but there's nothing altruistic in my
support, rather it's purely selfish: I recognize that the value I derive
from these projects is more than strong enough to warrant supporting
them to make sure they keep doing the great work they've been doing.

By the same token, in addition to my prepaid LC licenses for the
proprietary edition I also devote time contributing to the project in
support of the GPL-governed Community Edition.

Whether through cash, code, or evangelism, all useful open source
projects can benefit from community contributions.

But none of that is an obligation, nor inhibits even substantial
commercial activity, provide I adhere to the terms of the license I'm
using: deploying proprietary apps only with a proprietary-licensed
edition, and sharing code when made with the sharing-focused
GPL-governed edition.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems