Need help with my C to LiveCode skills

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 17 09:52:28 EST 2015

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > On 12/16/2015 12:56 PM, Todd Fabacher wrote:
 >> Sorry to bother the list, but I don't know how to do Xor in
 >> LiveCode.
 >
 > As mentioned, the bitXor operator is what you want.
 > But I can't say much for that as an encryption algorithm unless
 > you're looking for simple symmetric encryption/decryption.

Agreed.  I included this quote in my reply to the forum thread at
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26115&p=135819#p135819>:

"XOR is trivial to break, requiring seconds at most, whereas DES takes
hours to crack, and Blowfish would take us past the expected lifetime of
the sun."

...from this article, which also includes tips on cracking XOR'd ciphertext:
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory&sid=2000/4/10/174741/423>

If at all possible it would be both simpler to code and far more secure
to just rely on LC's built-in encrypt and decrypt functions, which
provide access to 100 industrial-strength algos like Blowfish, AES-256,
and more.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems