Licensing issues [was: Re: LC 8 DP 11]

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Dec 14 05:35:50 EST 2015

On 2015-12-14 11:21, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> Hi Wilhelm,
>> I find this newly installed monitoring process controlling the
>> validity
>> of older, but already fully installed versions an outright
>> unnnecessary
>> nuisance. Is this part of the new licensing policies that restrict the
>> use of  LC-Indy versions to the license span you have paid for? I have
>> got a commercial version extending until August 2016, which - as I
>> understand it - enables me to use (and produce standalones) with this
>> commercial version even beyond August 2016.
>
> I'm afraid that that's not correct -- when your current commercial
> license expires in August 2016, you will not be able to use any
> commercial version of LiveCode or use them to create standalones
> unless you renew your license.

This isn't quite correct - it depends on the type of commercial license
you received for each LiveCode version you have bought in the past. All
licensing issues are best dealt with by contacting support at livecode.com
- so please use that channel in future rather than the mailing list.

Up until the subscription model style license was introduced, the
LiveCode Commercial License was perpetual per version. i.e. If you had a
license for a particular version when it was released you can continue
to use it forever. Since the subcription model style license was
introduced, there are no (new) perpetual licenses - your right to use a
commercial version of LiveCode which you have received under the new
style license ceases as soon as that license lapses.

Assuming the records we hold for you are correct, it is easy to verify
whether you are still entitled to use a particular version of LiveCode:
if a particular commercial version will activate with your account (or
if you can download an activation file for it), then you are entitled to
use it.

If you find that you cannot activate a version of LiveCode which you
think you should be able to, please contact support at livecode.com to let
them know and we'll investigate.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.