sorting words ?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 19:41:14 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 6:17 AM, <jbv at souslelogo.com> wrote:

> but I actually have multiple lines with multiple items in each,
> and multiple words in each item... so working with arrays will do
> the sorting trick.

Yes it will but for those who are array adverse here's a way to do it using
'itemDel' and another using 'replace'. To test which was quicker (itemDel)
I repeated it 10,000 times. Put this in the msg box:

   put "99 35 82,215 83 44,75 16 97,487 89 30,81 42 03" into line 1 of
myListOfWordsInItemsInLines
   put "23 04 35,96 27 67,38 89 10,41 92 13,74 35 06" into line 2 of
myListOfWordsInItemsInLines
   put "87 18 69,50 38 97,96 45 74,33 82 11,62 43 14" into line 3 of
myListOfWordsInItemsInLines
   put "5 034 123,9 256 51,33 745 56,767 27 97,17 002 223" into line 4 of
myListOfWordsInItemsInLines
   put 10000 into tRepeats
   put the millisec into tStartTime
   repeat tRepeats times
      put empty into tOutput

      --SORTING WORDS USING REPLACE
      repeat for each line myLine in myListOfWordsInItemsInLines
         repeat for each item myItem in myLine
            replace space with comma in myItem
            sort items of myItem ascending numeric
            --If you only have single digit numbers as per your example you
don't need 'ascending numeric'
            replace comma with space in myItem
            put myItem & comma after tLine
         end repeat
         put char 1 to -2 of tLine & cr after tOutput
         put empty into tLine
      end repeat
   end repeat
   --tOutput contains the sorted words

   put the millisec into tEndTime
   put tRepeats & " repeats using 'replace' took " & (tEndTime -
tStartTime) & "ms" & cr into msg
   put the millisec into tStartTime
   repeat tRepeats times
      put empty into tOutput2

      --SORTING WORDS USING ITEMDEL
      repeat for each line myLine in myListOfWordsInItemsInLines
         repeat for each item myItem in myLine
            set the itemDel to space
            sort items of myItem ascending numeric
            --If you only have single digit numbers as per your example you
don't need 'ascending numeric'
            put myItem & comma after tLine
            set the itemDel to comma
         end repeat
         put char 1 to -2 of tLine & cr after tOutput2
         put empty into tLine
      end repeat
   end repeat
   --tOutput2 contains the sorted words

   put the millisec into tEndTime
   put tRepeats & " repeats using 'itemDel' took " & (tEndTime -
tStartTime) & "ms" & cr after msg
   if (tOutput = tOutput2) then
      put "Both produce the same result" & cr & cr after msg
      put tOutput after msg
   else
      put "Error! The outputs do NOT match." & cr & cr after msg
       put tOutput & cr & cr after msg
       put tOutput2 after msg
   end if