Death of the Application Browser

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:26:40 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:10 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
wrote:

> In this situation it is impossible to know where you are unless you can
> always see the stack name. So I was trying to get the same view in
> Navigator that I get in AB where the stack I'm in is always clearly
> visible. In Navigator, once I leave the stack list, I could be anywhere.
> It's true that when I select a stack I know where I am immediately after
> that, but if I work for a while and then go back to Navigator, I've likely
> forgotten which stack it's displaying. The names of the controls don't help
> me, and the card names are all IDs. So then I have to go back to the main
> stack list and renavigate to where I was before, just to identify what the
> stack was.
>
> And to make things more interesting, I usually have a whole bunch of
> cloned stacks open at the same time. It all comes back to breadcrumbs for
> me.
>
> BTW, I found the stack list, which has to be accessed via a popdown menu,
> but I can't find how to disply its card list.

​Ah, now I get it. For exactly this reason, the latest version of Navigator
sets the title bar to the path, like:

card "display" of stack "fundamental"
card id 1002 of stack "untitled"

​If you hold down the option key and click the stack menu (to display rev
stacks) you can select the "Message Box" stack. Then the card menu should
list:

this card
Card List
-
Single Line
Multiple Lines
Global Properties
Global Variables
pendingMessages
frontScripts
backScripts
stacksInUse

Which is all the cards. If you care to, you can select "Card List" and then
the list will display:

stack "Message Box"
card "Single Line" [1002]
card "Multiple Lines" [1011]
card "Global Properties" [1012]
card "Global Variables" [1013]
card "pendingMessages" [1014]
card "frontScripts" [1015]
card "backScripts" [1016]
card "stacksInUse" [1147]

Depending on which version of Navigator you have, and how your preferences
are set.

gc