Death of the Application Browser

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 2 19:10:37 EST 2015

On 12/2/2015 3:45 PM, Geoff Canyon wrote:
>> >I spent a little time yesterday seeing if I could simulate a list of
>> >stacks by lining up several navigators but it isn't very workable.
>
> ​I must still not be understanding this use case. Navigator has a list of
> stacks in the stack menu. The trade-off of course is two clicks with the
> menu in exchange for one click but having to give up screen real estate
> constantly displaying the ​list. Is that it, or am I missing something
> else? At this point I feel like I'm Steve Jobs telling you you're holding
> the iPhone wrong ;-)

It's an obscure usage case, I admit. In my big project, all but two
stacks are clones of a template stack. Each stack has a unique
identifiable name. Cards are named by a coding system that doesn't
provide a clear identifier (though I'm starting to remember some of the
codes now.) About half the cards in any given stack have controls
identical to the parallel cards in other stacks, including the same
names and IDs. And since the stacks are clones, most of the cards also
have IDs identical to the other stacks.

In this situation it is impossible to know where you are unless you can
always see the stack name. So I was trying to get the same view in
Navigator that I get in AB where the stack I'm in is always clearly
visible. In Navigator, once I leave the stack list, I could be anywhere.
It's true that when I select a stack I know where I am immediately after
that, but if I work for a while and then go back to Navigator, I've
likely forgotten which stack it's displaying. The names of the controls
don't help me, and the card names are all IDs. So then I have to go back
to the main stack list and renavigate to where I was before, just to
identify what the stack was.

And to make things more interesting, I usually have a whole bunch of
cloned stacks open at the same time. It all comes back to breadcrumbs
for me.

BTW, I found the stack list, which has to be accessed via a popdown
menu, but I can't find how to disply its card list.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com