Death of the Application Browser

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Tue Dec 1 04:53:04 EST 2015

> On 1 Dec 2015, at 5:57 pm, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
> Number-name would work, though it isn't as easy to read as a column. But I'd be okay with it. Not sure what you mean by "object descriptor" though.

I just meant that some folks might like "number. name" and others might like "name (number)" and others might like "[id] name (number)” and some way to specify in the preferences might be good. Even just a range of choices might help.

>  But IDs are imperative when I get an error message like this:
>
>  Hint: field id 12345 of card id 2069 of stack…

Failing a proper mobile debugger some way to scroll to an object reference in the project browser would work for this. It probably would require a menu and a dialog to enter the object reference.

> Left-clicking the name should change the target object that will be acted on. Double-clicking a name should both change the target and additionally navigate to it in the stack.

Yes, I suspect the navigate on single click is one of those cases where it works well for people new to the platform but for complicated apps I at least do a lot of work without opening the stacks I’m working on. You might change one thing and know it’s going to cause errors elsewhere so you change a lot of things before wanting to open the stack to test. Perhaps this could be a preference too?

> Right-clicking should present the contextual menu and leave the original target intact.

This appears to be the case already. In LC 7.1 I see that when using a contextual menu on a control will fail and the selected row will be the target but in LC 8 this works fine. The problem I find with LC 8 is that you can’t browse to a grouped control without selecting and navigating to the group because the clicking the flipper does that. I suspect this is just a bug.

> And a feature request: It would be nice to be able to copy or cut an object from elsewhere and paste it into the current card you're looking at, without needing to first change your location to go get that object.

Yes that would be nice.