Goodbye stsMLXEditor

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 23:13:25 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> If I get a chance, I will check out the sts plugin code and see if changing
> it to check the result after setting the script fixes it.  Sounds like it
> will.
>
> But then you have a Catch22 - I expect the result will be empty so your
script will be set - but you still have your strict compilation error. In
my Recipe stack, once I correct the basic error within the set script
statement, click btn "one', and then I click on btn 'two' it does what it
suppose to but if I open btn 'two's script and Apply I get a Compilation
Error because 'y' was not declared.

The real question is, how does sts know that there is a compilation error
which stops it from setting the script, as experienced by you stating that
your changes are NOT made, but sts doesn't have enough info to post you the
error - which could be because part of the check also uses the result of
setting the script but the result is empty so there is nothing to post?

IMO this seems to be an Engine side problem, not an sts side problem. If
the 'the result' of setting the script also caught Strict Compilation
errors, then it would be easier to pass text in and out of scripts and pick
up syntax errors.

> While we're talking about script errors, another pet peeve of mine is:
> compilation stops after finding the first error.  Would really like to see
> all errors flagged in whatever new Script Editor is coming down the pike.
>
> Yes, I commented that space taken up by the Errors Tab seems to be a waste
as it only ever reports one error. If ALL syntax errors were reported the
size of the Errors Tab would seem to be more sensible. Proceeding past the
first error and continuing to check for more would seem to be a sensible
enhancement request - it's how my TE works which is another thing I could
add to my list of why I like my TE over the SE.