Goodbye stsMLXEditor

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 29 19:51:02 EDT 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:

 > Did lots of script editing in Textmate today via stsMXL plugin.  Saved
 > several times along the way, quit TextMate and Livecode.  Next time I
 > ran Livecode, all my edits were gone.  Maybe it needed a final save or
 > something but should have received warnings if so.
 >
 > Back to the IDE SE for me

There's nothing magic about editing scripts.  Whether the script is
copied out of an object into a text field or into a temp file, the
sequence is largely the same:  an editScript message initiates the
action, and a "set script" command puts the script back into the object
it came from.

It may well be that the very old stsMXL plugin could use an update, but
for those who like using external editors I would encourage considering
it as a useful starting point for a solution that can be every bit as
robust as using a text field.   Voodoo need not apply; just get a script
and set a script, and what happens in between can be done by any means
you prefer.

If your edits were indeed put back into the objects you thought you were
editing, and the stack those objects were in was indeed saved, something
else went wrong.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems