[Bug] Red Dot Breakpoints Ignored - Recipe

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Aug 29 18:41:09 EDT 2015

On 08/29/2015 03:53 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:

> I expected to find a Bug Report at the QCC but nothing stuck out. I know
> that this has been a long standing issue so can:
>
> a) you confirm that you see this too
> b) suggest an appropriate bug number to add my findings.

That said, the way LiveCode deals with breakpoint conditions is pretty
screwy. If you apply a condition to a breakpoint, it it stored in a
custom property of the stack. When a breakpoint occurs, the conditions
are checked. But they're global to the stack.

Try this:

on mouseUp
   put 1 into x
   repeat with y = 1 to 10
     add 1 to x
   end repeat
end mouseUp

on grunt
   put 1 into x
   repeat with y = 1 to 10
     add 1 to x
   end repeat
end grunt

Now set breakpoints on both add lines, and add a condition to only the
second line:

x > 3

Click the button and the breakpoint fires only when the condition is
met, even though you set it for a different line.

It's not so much a bug as a systemic failure, because in order to change
the behavior the script editor and debugger would have to change what
they do in some seriously wide-sweeping ways. The oddest part to me is
that there's already a mechanism in the engine for dealing with this,
but the IDE doesn't use it.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com