Release: LiveCode 8.0 DP 3
fraser.gordon at livecode.com
Wed Aug 26 17:00:51 CEST 2015
Dear list members,
We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.0 DP 3.
Warning: this is not a stable release. Please ensure you back up your stacks before testing them.
- iOS device builds are currently broken. However it is still possible to test iOS apps in the simulator.
- revBrowser fails to initialise in the 32-bit Linux engine. This causes the dictionary to fail to render.
The next DP of LiveCode 8.0 will be released shortly.
LiveCode 8.0 DP 3 contains the following changes:
The ability to compose widget objects has been added. Widgets can either be 'host' widgets,
created when a widget is directly embedded in a stack, or 'child' widgets which are created
when a widget is used as a child widget within another widget.
The menubar has been made a script-only stack to facilitate bugfixes and community contributions.
Users should not notice much difference in terms of its appearance. Some of the menu items have
been changed, however:
The 'New Mainstack' item now has a submenu with a range of size choices, as well as the option to
create a script-only stack. Selecting script-only stack will prompt a choice of name, and subsequently
open the stack in the script editor.
We have centralised the building and handling of contextual menus in the menubar script, thereby
making per-object contextual menus display and behave consistently throughout the IDE.
The Object > New Control submenu is now generated based on the property information present for
each object type, and the newly added Object > New Widget submenu is generated based on the currently
loaded widget extensions.
A number of changes have been made to property editors in the property inspector:
- The color editors now use a color swatch widget to display the chosen color
- Numeric editors have a slider if the property has an associated min/max, and an increment/decrement
twiddle if it has a step value.
- The navbar widget now uses a version of itself as an editor for its properties (com.livecode.pi.navbar)
- A graphic effects property editor has been added (com.livecode.pi.graphiceffect)
- A gradient property editor has been added (com.livecode.pi.gradientramp)
- A script property editor has been added, which contains a button to edit the selected script (com.livecode.pi.script)
- A time zone property editor has been added, which contains a drop-down list of time zones (com.livecode.pi.timezone)
A field has been added to the Copy Files tab of the standalone settings which is populated with the list of currently
installed extensions. All selected extensions from this list are included in standalones and loaded when the standalone
is launched. 'Use' dependencies are automatically calculated and included along with the top-level widget.
74 bug fixes.
The release can be downloaded at http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
Further information on the changes in this release can be found in the release notes,
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_0_0_dp_3.pdf, and in the
following blog post: https://livecode.com/the-top-7-changes-in-livecode-8-dp-3/
Please report any bugs encountered on our Bugzilla at http://quality.livecode.com/
More information about the use-livecode