Script Editor future (was Open Source Kickstarter Report Card)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Aug 22 21:35:17 EDT 2015

On 08/22/2015 06:01 PM, RunRevPlanet wrote:

> I would be surprised if the amount of work making a plugin for another system
> would be less than just fixing what currently exists.

<g> from the work I've done on glx2 I'd second that. The IDE has way too
many hooks that need to be trapped in a frontscript in order to use a
<different> editor from the built-in one. And it's gotten worse, not
better, with LC 7/8. I was rather hoping that the IDE would evolve to a
plugin framework that would allow you to swap individual elements, but
it's probably wishful thinking on my part. Time to look at rIDE again.

> All the while, every coding editor I have ever used (except LiveCode) has an
> option to restrict the Find and Replace to selected text. So much quicker and
> less error prone.

Additionally, RubyMine has not only this, but some great refactoring
features that let you, for instance, change the number or order of
parameters to a handler and then update all instances of calls to that
handler anywhere in any part of the project.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com