STACKLE - RSRC for LC Stacks - Are U Interested?

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Aug 21 12:10:43 EDT 2015

FYI:

Andre encouraged me to learn GIT...  I already bought the GIT book..
went all the tutorials... was merrily pushing, fetching, pull, branching
looking at diffs, what fun! for our LC server side (text only LC world)
Very cool I actually enjoyed it... Hours later: no content is coming out
the pipeline... I'm spending time inside a "platform toolbox" instead of
building content.

That's my first "beef" with these systems. They are great for software
engineers, but those who use the platforms to actually deliver "stuff"
i.e. "content engineers" need to be spending 98% of their time working
on the "stuff" and not the platform itself.

Subversion looks interesting.. but still Altuit's old Magic Carpet was
simplicity perfecto.

In fact I think there is a big of hiatus in the vision for the
development of LiveCode, where the tools for content development  (e.g.
building a really robust IDE for GUI design, text layout etc.  SFTP
which is "moving" content, SVG which is only coming now very late,
palyer object still unclear about Windows..etc.)  never come into sharp
focus and all the mental re-estate, and $ resources is driven by the
engineering vision, which of course is incredibly crucial... but, at the
end of the day: we are all looking at pixels on a screen or listening to
some audio.  IMHO this is one of the LiveCode leadership main strategic
"blunders" (sorry to say that) because you are losing a gigantic market
of people who have high expectations for being able to do elegant GUI
that would adopt LiveCode in a "minute" if they could "trust" the GUI
building framework.

These are people weaned on Adobe's tools... a very tough sell.  Akin to
building  "kids" who are weaned on Disney Quality content.  I even had
someone on my own team build me a screen where he laid out buttons on
top of a background with text in InDesign and then exported the screen
as PNG and sent that to me, because, in his own words,

  "I don't trust LiveCode to be able to set a perfect baseline across
the buttons top to bottom."

Of course I had to explain to him that this makes these buttons raster
objects, and they may break down if we scale up (fortunately at 1232 X
2208, it holds up well even on an iPad.) But I have to build transparent
clickable buttons on top..( can't see my buttons!)  and that we *do*
have a distribute objects a span that would lay them out perfectly and
LC buttons will be better...and Helvetic Neue looks as good in an LC
button as it does in Indesign.

  But those word fall on deaf ears, why? Because when he himself opens
LiveCode himself and looks around for tools to build GUI...and put text
into a button and the button name/label doesn't even line up centered in
the button and the property inspector hides the line height property for
a button (you have to tweak it manually from the msg box!)  He shakes
his head "I'm getting out of here right now."   and he will never, ever
come back.

this is sad, because I think a work flow where  the

A - Graphic Design team is building beautiful screens and the
B- Nerd Team is writing code for those screen is a space where LC

could be very, very powerful

But since A  is not even in the cards  for LiveCode, this is never gonna
happen.  And the response will be "well that's not what LiveCode is
meant to do... "

</end mini rant>

Swasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami