Open Source Kickstarter Report Card

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 20 11:49:04 EDT 2015

Ali Lloyd wrote:
> I doubt we will be writing a whole new script editor from scratch in one
> go.

Wise, for all the reasons Joel talks about here (good link, Scott):
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html>

> More likely we will replace individual elements with widgets (as has
> been done with the variables pane) to make sure all the components work as
> expected.

LiveCode 8's Builder language will be an exciting addition to the
platform, at long last allowing the dev team to enjoy the same benefit
the rest of us choose LiveCode for: not having to work in C++, able to
use a high-level scripting language for much greater productivity.

With the IDE things are even better:  it's already written in a
high-level scripting language.  Why not use LiveCode Script?

If we can't build a good text editor in LiveCode, what are any of us
doing here?

Fortunately we can.  Indeed LiveCode is an excellent tool to build such
things with, as it is right now.

LiveCode Builder is a great alternative to C++, but there's no true need
to replace LiveCode Script elements with new LiveCode Builder
implementations.

Doing so merely overloads the already-laden v8 dev cycle, and worse it
prevents backporting solutions to the product that is currently the
company's sole source of revenue, v7.  Conversely, everything written
for v7 goes along for the ride seamlessly to v8, the clearly winning
option for things already in script.

The ROI of writing things in LC Builder that might otherwise have
required C++ is unquestionable.  And similarly unquestionable is the
benefit of using the current scripting language for things already
written in the current scripting language.

Somewhere down the road there might be a reason to rewrite those, but
right now the downsides seem so clearly outweighing the upsides on every
level, from technical to revenue to marketing (do we really intend to
convey the message that LiveCode can't be used to build a text editor?),
it would seem optimal to just dive in an optimize what we have.

This thread began with a sober realization of the difficulty of
estimation vs. actual delivery times.  I'm a programmer too, so I
appreciate the seductive attraction of greenfield projects; no one like
working in other people's code.  But most programming is exactly that,
and as Joel points out it's extremely rare that a working system can
benefit from a complete rewrite, when all that's needed are some
optimizations and a very small number of new and rather discrete features.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems