libCurl wrapper using LiveCode Builder [was: Re: SFTP support]

Lyn Teyla lyn.teyla at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:53:01 EDT 2015

Peter TB Brett wrote:

> On 2015-08-19 20:27, Lyn Teyla wrote:
>
>> Have you guys at LiveCode Ltd thought about implementing this revamp
>> of networking/sockets by simply writing a libCurl wrapper using
>> LiveCode Builder?
>
> Yes -- one of our very first, high priority ideas for an LCB-based project.  I even made a start on it, and I have an internal project [1] that would really benefit from it.  However, it's not yet technically possible, I'm afraid.
>
> I expect the necessary LCB language features to appear in a LiveCode 8.x release, where x > 0.  Some of them are floating around in Mark Waddingham's GitHub repository in various states of completion.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it. :)

Just for clarity, could you elaborate on what you said earlier:

> The regular requests for SFTP support are noted and SFTP support is on our internal list of feature requests -- indeed, I was recently discussing it with Mark Waddingham.  However, it will be a large project that will involve writing and thoroughly testing a lot of new, security-critical code.  When we have the resources available to implement it, it will therefore very likely be introduced an extension available to LiveCode Business customers.

If a libCurl wrapper using LCB is in development, wouldn't the above be a non-issue? That is, adding SFTP (or any other libCurl-supported protocol) shouldn't need to involve writing and testing a lot of new, security-critical code, since libCurl has already taken care of that? Or am I missing something?

Lyn