[OT] Copyrighting games?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Aug 19 13:48:41 EDT 2015

The general reason for "registering" copyrights if to prove the date of
the copyright if there ever is a lawsuit.

If I release an App that states copyright @2010 on it and 2 years later
in 2012 someone releases an identical app that says copyright @2012 and
we get in to a lawsuit, how do I prove that I really authored the work
in 2010 vs just back dating it.

This is what copyright registration supposedly does for you - it
verified the date of your copyright in the event of a lawsuit.

Alternatively, there is not need to register from a legal point of view,
IF you have sufficent admissible evidence that you truly authored the
work when you state you did. That could be via dated financial records
of sales to customers for example or by any of a number of other means.

It's all about proving your copyright is legit vs the other guy trying
to prove it isn't and that theirs is.