Distribute beta versions of iOS app

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Aug 18 01:03:52 EDT 2015

On 8/17/2015 10:00 PM, Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> *AirLaunch FTP*
>
> AirLaunch provides a built-in FTP client that will upload all the files
> for you, so there's no need to leave LiveCode. Or if you're using
> Dropbox, just move the files into the Public folder and you won't have
> to upload anything at all.
>
> Your 10 last-used server logins are stored securely with SSL, so you
> only have to enter them once. After that, choose it from the list."
>
> uses SFTP to transfer to the server? How did you do that?

No, it doesn't use SFTP for the actual transfer. The app stores up to 10
URLs and passwords for various server logins so that you don't have to
re-enter them every time you want to do an upload. They're stored
encrypted so that they're safe on disk, but for now we're still stuck
with regular FTP for the actual file transfers. You don't have to use
the FTP in AirLaunch though, you can move the files to the server using
any FTP client.

There doesn't seem to be much risk using unencrypted FTP though, since
no one can use your app except those who are listed in your developer
profile. It won't install or run for anyone else.

For your other question:

> Do I read that it is a simple as supplying a URL like this:
>
> https://www.himalayanacademy.com/apps/MyNewApp.app
>
> and sending that to someone who is on the provisioning profile?

Not exactly. The app itself can't be distributed as-is, you need to
build a special distribution package. That's the tedious part that
AirLaunch automates. You can find info on how to do that on the web.
It's a lot of futzing around, and ater a while I got tired of it and
wrote AirLaunch.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com