Open Source Kickstarter Report Card (Updated)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 17 23:29:13 EDT 2015

Peter W A Wood wrote:

 > After all, it looks to me that you cannot sell GPL licensed software
 > through the Windows App Store....

I couldn't find anything definitive on that.  I did find some older
articles about Win8 licensing suggesting FOSS was prohibited, but I also
found this one from 2011 that says the opposite:

    Windows 8 Store will allow open source apps,
    unlike iOS and Mac App Stores
     The section in question states that apps released under a license
     from the Open Source Initiative (GPL, Apache, etc.) can be
     distributed in the Windows Store. Further, it says that the OSI
     license will trump the Microsoft Standard Application License
     Terms, namely the the restriction on sharing applications.
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/108551-windows-8-store-will-allow-open-source-apps-unlike-ios-and-mac>

And that was back when Ballmer was still there.  Since Nadella took the
helm Microsoft has fallen in love with Linux, started moving their dev
tools to open source, and is partnering with Ubuntu as a key component
of their Azure cloud platform.  (No, really, it's like hell froze over
in a flock of flying pigs - the photo here is priceless, something no
one ever expected for decades:
<http://news.softpedia.com/news/CEO-Satya-Nadella-Microsoft-Loves-Linux-462754.shtml>
)

Anyone have a definitive notice on this, preferably one from Microsoft
themselves?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems