Open Source Kickstarter Report Card

William Prothero prothero at earthednet.org
Mon Aug 17 11:29:15 EDT 2015

I contributed to kickstarter because I saw the vision of a reasonably priced authoring system that kept up with the always evolving technology.  Some technologies are important to a few high level developers, while others become widely adopted, like pdf and zip. The idea that the livecode vision would be “frozen in time” and future enhancements would be charged extra, certainly is contrary to what I had expected.

I have the resources to pay for my authoring system. The opensource option will bring in new users, which is good. I want the mothership to be sustainable. However, I do think they will need to be strategic about what goes into the free and “indie” versions and what they include in an enhanced version of some kind. If I have to buy a costly enhanced package to get widely standard capabilities like pdf and zip, I will not like it at all.

Regards,
Bill