mySQL: PHP or direct access?

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Fri Aug 14 14:16:08 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-14 19:31, Peter Haworth wrote:

> Next decision - php or lc server.  lc server is attractive since I
> already
> know the language but suffers from the drawback that not many web hosts
> support it.

Yes, that's exactly the trade-off that needs to be made!  I don't think
there's any hard and fast rule to help you decide here, I'm afraid!

> Now that I'm seeing the benefits of middleware for db access, my next
> thought is why bother with an SQL implementation that supports direct
> network access when we're not using direct network access?  For
> example,
> wouldn't SQLite do just as good a job?  I've read that SQLite is used
> for
> many web sites supporting fairly high db access rates, maybe in the
> range
> of several hundred thousand a day.

A common datacentre setup would involve middleware running on multiple
front-end servers, connecting across the internal network to a database
running on a single, dedicated, extremely high-power server.  The
front-end servers do the caching, validation, authentication,
encryption, etc.; the database server only manages data.

                                 Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Engine Development Team