mySQL: PHP or direct access?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 13 17:27:04 EDT 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:
> It still seems to me that, once security matters are dealt with, the choice
> of server side script versus direct connection is more a matter of
> preferred application architecture more than anything else.

Ah, but there's the rub, "once security matters are dealt with".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a storage-specific language I don't
believe SQL offers as much for sanitizing as PHP, Ruby, LiveCode, and
other more general languages.

I think there's a good reason most of the world protects their DBs from
open exposure to the Internet via an intermediary scripting language,
more than just for the convenience of making REST APIs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems