mySQL: PHP or direct access?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Aug 13 13:16:51 EDT 2015

What are the pluses and minuses you get from using php as a middleman to
access a mySQL database on a server versus accessing the mySQL database
directly from LC?

Web sources typically mention two main benefits: php runs on any platform,
and it's easier to create dynamic web pages.  I think the first one really
has to do with using php over any other server side language rather than
direct vs indirect db access.

So assuming I have a Livecode application that does not generate dynamic
web pages, what other reasons might there be to use php (or not)?  And if I
do use php, how do I protect against sql injection attacks?