Business Application Framework

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Aug 13 03:07:06 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-12 23:57, Monte Goulding wrote:
> Thanks for the details Peter. I had thought the BAF was a product of
> your work on the file format. I wonder if the current situation
> warrants a further investigation into the things that would assist my
> script based solution? Object UUIDs and more support for working out
> widget metadata without depending on ide code.

There are two PRs pending (should get into 8 DP3) for widget support...
The ability to export / import a widget's state array and a 'is really'
operator. The latter let's you find out the precise type of a value,
which is important for encoding in JSON in 7 onwards (since you can't
tell the difference between binary strings and text strings, or numbers
and strings in LCS due to auto-conversion).

The PRs are:
    https://github.com/runrev/livecode/pull/2348
    https://github.com/runrev/livecode/pull/2345

These should be sufficient to enable you to add widget export to lcVCS
without having to talk to the IDE.

As I said way back when, I'm not averse to Object UUIDs being added as
metadata for the purposes of VCS (i.e. sideline data in objects). I'm
still yet to be persuaded that replacing 'ids' with them is worthwhile
as I think the problems being tried to solve by doing that are better
solved in a different way (in particular augment properties in engine
objects which take object id's to take stack / object name pairs).

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps