[OT] Teaching methodology

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Wed Aug 12 18:21:28 EDT 2015

Richmond,

ive used a combo when teaching high school kids in the US software or programming. I do some mini lessons so they do practical project (always found this better than theoretical exercises with most students) on a subset of commands or features. proceed each with a small amount of discussion of the commands and features, then the assignments. after a few of these then move to more open ended assignments to let them tie it all together but have a wider understanding of the software or system.

Of course there are usually some exceptions to the rule with some way out there students who just dive in and figure it out. these more precocious students usually dont have the tunnel vision issue, that tends to be the grade grubbers who just care about getting the A on the assignment in the most direct course...

cheers

jeff