Business Application Framework

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 12 17:43:13 EDT 2015

Richmond wrote:
> I don't think LiveCode will thrive if it continues to present itself to
> the world in the way it is just now.
>
> The more people who state their opinion, the more healthy and
> pluralistic the debate will become, and the more likely that LiveCode
> will sit up and take notice *seriously*: something I believe it should
> have done a very long time ago.

If all you're asking for is what you wrote, you'd have been satisfied
long ago.  Given the regular acknowledgement of the opinions presented
here, I think it's safe to say they've taken notice.

Respectfully, it would seem you're asking for something else, not just
"taking notice", but actually implementing specific suggestions.

But which ones?

Our community has offered many suggestions, but taken as a whole they
don't always agree, and sometimes even contradict one another.  As a
community discussion that's fine, but as business guidance it becomes
more challenging.

Should we put company decisions to a vote?  On a certain level that
might seem sensible, since we're the customers so it would seem that we
know what's best.

But we're today's customers, many of us with backgrounds in other
xTalks, a dialect largely unknown to the modern world if it weren't for
LiveCode.  Tomorrow's customers are very different, and anything learned
by surveying current customers risks missing critical information about
the needs of tomorrow's.  A bright future will depend on having new
customers outnumber old ones many times over.

So maybe we should put company decisions to a vote, but only among
newcomers.  Or give newcomers 5 votes to our 1.

But many newcomers are coming from the open source world, which is
important for the growth of the platform but doesn't do as much for
immediate short-term revenue.

So should we have open source newcomers with 4 votes, and entrepreneur
newcomers with 5?

And how many of any of us, ol' timers and newcomers alike, have
demonstrated experience managing a software company the size of RunRev?

And of those, how many have done so in the dev tools space, with its
limited Total Addressable Market Size?

I think the properly exploiting the opportunity of LiveCode is an
inherently non-trivial problem, and will requiring a mix of creativity
and courage to explore solutions, because I don't believe I've seen
anything like LiveCode before so we have little in the way of rote
knowledge to draw from.

But if there's anything in recent discussions on which there's anything
close to unanimity, whether from ol' timers or newcomers, whether from
open source developers or proprietary entrepreneurs, it's that
maintaining feature parity between Community and Commercial as close as
practical is important for everyone.

Now we just have to figure out what "as close as practical" means....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager
  richard at livecode.org