[OT] Teaching methodology

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Wed Aug 12 08:51:44 EDT 2015

1) A course can be systematic yet playful. The teacher needs to stick to
a number of principles and a plan, but the children should just have fun
and learn something.

2) When I create software, I do this with the skills I already possess.
When I run into a problem, I enhance my skills until I can solve the
problem. As a programmer, I am always ready to learn something new. If
it is required to solve the problem, I'll learn a (to me) entirely new
language.

3) Programmers want to work efficiently. If they decide to invest time
into learning something new, they are already out of their comfort zone.
However, if this is about the parents of the children you teach, you
have a problem. These parents don't want to take the time to learn
something new and they don't need to, but their children do.

Do people really think that the world may fall apart, if everybody could
suddenly make their own programmes? Until the late 1980s, everybody was
forced to figure out programming by himself, because a) there were no
specialized schools for this and b) the internet was only barely available.

People went to computer clubs and everybody who was interested could not
only make his or her own software, but also build his or her own
computer! Did the world fall apart? No!

I think you need to convince the parents that the world has changed. Not
only has programming become easier, programming is now everywhere in our
daily life and has become a required skill. Not only because some people
might want to become a "programmer", but also because people need to be
able to understand an error message on the computer, think logically
when programming the microwave or DVR/PVR/STB, and be careful and
precise when entering a key on the website of their bank. It would be
ludicrous to think that everyone first would have to learn C++ to
acquire these skills.

I know a toddler who can't even talk yet, but uses pictures on a mobile
phone to show what she likes to eat and then goes to Youtube to listen
to her favourite music. In fact, I know several examples like this one.
These people are not going to need programming languages the way we do
now, but we need to offer them some framework within which they can
develop their skills. 4GL's may offer this framework, together with
Arduino's, Raspberry Pies, and who knows what else we'll see in the near
future.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille