Jane Austen's peculiarity

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Sun Aug 9 23:44:18 EDT 2015

Hermann.

You are back.

So glad...

Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: hh <hh at livecode.org>
To: use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 9, 2015 2:15 pm
Subject: Re: Jane Austen's peculiarity

To come back to Richmond's opening post, one could think about using the
following, avoiding complex offset constructions.

First collect word 1 of
each item of a string (not too large, size adapted to your machine), where the
itemdelimiter is "were" or any other word (conditional) that filters a targeted
phrasing in or out.

Strings as itemdelimiters are possible in LC 7 (one may
also use "split" and "combine" with such delimiters) and this is pretty
fast.

This could narrow the lists and cases you have to investigate
further.

Hermann

> Sun Aug 9 01:44:36 CEST 2015 by Alex Tweedly.
think I'd agree that a conditional clause should be equired (could it
> be any
of 'if', 'unless', 'whether', ...)?

> Otherwise, you'd be finding false
positives like:

> I gave two shillings to my brother and last night they
_were returned_
> to me.
>
> -- Alex.
>
>> Sat Aug 8 18:42:51 CEST 2015
by Richmond.
>> Jane Austen [amongst others] uses an interesting type of
grammatical
>> construction of this sort:
>>
>> After breakfast, the girls
walked to Meryton to inquire if Mr. Wickham
>> _were returned_, and to lament
over his absence from the Netherfield ball.

>> Pride and Prejudice.
>>

>> I would like to analyse a million word corpus that I have been granted

access to for this type of construction.

>> However, I don't want to find
examples of only 'were returned', but all
>> examples of
>>
>> were +
infinitive / preterite / past participle

>> and, presumably for that I
shall have to use wildcards . . .

>> OR ???

Richmond.

Please visit this url to subscribe,
unsubscribe and manage your subscription
preferences: