[OT-ish] naming a MeetUp group

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 8 18:58:53 EDT 2015

Colin Holgate wrote:
 > I attend a programming user group that has gotten more and more quiet
 > over the years. Sometimes nobody shows up! We’ve been wondering
 > whether to change it to be a Meetup group instead

Yes and double yes!  Once our local Linux group opened a Meetup page
attendance has steadily grown and the whole planning process is much easier.

I'll be putting one together for our SoCal LiveCode group soon.

Meetup nailed that task beautifully.

 > My thought is to make the topic be broader than it is now, and
 > different to other MeetUps that already exist. There are lots of
 > programming and app development meetings, but they all tend to get
 > a  bit low level and geeky. Perhaps there would be interest in
 > talking about higher level tools such as LiveCode?
 >
 > In naming a group they encourage you to say where it is, and that
 > it’s a Meetup. Best I can come up with so far is:
 >
 > "NYC High Level Software Development Tools Meetup”
 >
 > Bit wordy, but how else do you describe LiveCode and other tools that
 > are a long way from Java and Objective-C?
 >
 > I might make it be:
 >
 > "NYC High Level Mobile Development Tools Meetup”
 >
 > even if we might cover desktop and browser applications, just because
 > “mobile” is more popular right now.
 >
 > Any suggestions about the name would be great, thanks.

Have you considered something that includes "Rapid App Development"
rather than "High Level"?

I find that the distinction between high- and low-level languages is
most readily appreciated by users of low-level languages.  Maybe "Rapid
Development" may provide the focus you're looking for, and also give you
some wiggle room if you wind up having a presentation about
middle-of-the-road languages like Swift now and then.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems