LiveNode Server

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 15:00:50 EDT 2015

> On 14 Apr 2015, at 18:17, David Bovill <david at viral.academy> wrote:
>
> Yes - thanks for the input Mark.
>
> How about having Livecode as a Node extension that we could install with
> NPM? Is that not a much easier first step? I still would like to get to the
> bottom of "not being fork able" means?
Unless you want to ban most of the language then you'd still have to replace or integrate the event loop with libuv, which is probably not a small or easy job. If a future LiveCode has a more modular core you might be able to take just the bits you need.

> It would be fantastic to get add Live code to a Node server with a couple
> of lines. Particularly for serving dynamically created images. I guess this
> route will also be possible when we have JavaScript export?

I think it would be possible with JavaScript export but that's a very heavyweight solution. Dynamically creating images is the sort of processor intensive task where Node performs badly. It would probably make more sense to have a separate LiveCode executable that can run in another process on another CPU core on the same server. You could signal it via sockets from the Node server, or even just communicate via the file system.