New Way To Deal With Custom Fonts on iOS?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Apr 14 03:27:14 EDT 2015

Hi All:

I just spent two hours with a colleague trying to track down why a custom
font wasn't rendering correctly on iOS, and apparently it seems that
something changed with either the way LiveCode 7 or iOS 8 handles font
names.

It used to be that grabbing the installed name of a font on iOS was all
that was needed to get a custom font to work, but now it seems one has to
manually combine the font name and any desired style/s into a string
separated by a dash:

Installed name = American Typewriter Condensed Bold
becomes -------> AmericanTypewriter-CondensedBold

I know about the fontStyles function, but that only appears to return
available styles for font, it doesn't return a properly formatted fontName.

Looking up font related terms/issues in the docs, forums, and mail list I
haven't seen any reference to this anywhere.  Is this documented, and even
more importantly, is there a function or script to automate this so we
don't have to maintain a stored list of styles and compare/replace words
in the font name?

I'm also worried about what caused this change: is this a LiveCode change
or an iOS change?  An iOS change would seem to mean that we need to code
around the system version to handle older versions of iOS.

Thanks for any info/advice here.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director