(ANN] Webpage Editor for Linux

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun Apr 12 12:51:18 EDT 2015

Hello again Linux fans!

Quite a few years ago I produced a WYSIWYG Webpage Editor for Windows,
using LC. Subsequently, I used it to set up my entire web site
(howsoft.com). [See the following link if you are interested in the
Windows version:

http://www.howsoft.com/webed2/  ].

I wanted to produce a similar Editor for Linux, but I was unable to
because LC did not provide the essential embedded browser required for
the program. I tried a number of workarounds using WINE, but they were
never entirely acceptable. Finally, I solved the problem for Linux (and
also Windows or Mac) users by programming a similar JQuery online editor
("WebEd 4"). This can be found at:

  http://www.howsoft.com/browserapps/ .

Eventually, I discovered a way of providing an auxiliary browser for
LC/Linux using Python. You have probably seen this before, and it can be
seen at:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/extensions/ .

Now, recently, after being frustrated for many years in my attempts to
produce an offline Webpage Editor for Linux, I decided to have another
go using the Python browser I had come up with. It worked! It is
functionally identical to the Windows version, and you can find it at:

http://www.howsoft.com/linux/webed2/ .

[Note also that the web pages it produces are entirely compatible with
the Windows version, so you can interchange files freely between Linux
and Windows.]

The only difficulties I had in employing the Python browser to make
WebEd/Linux was the fact that of course it is not "embedded" in LC. This
means that it was not always easy to manage the different rendering
layers between LC and Python. But manage it I did, and I am happy with
the result. I can now die in peace!

Of course, when a truly embedded LC WebKit browser for Linux is up and
running reliably, there will probably be no such little problems with
the management of layers that I had with the Python browser. I look
forward to that time, which is hopefully soon.

Regards to all.

Bob Warren