Refining a Font Menu

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Tue Apr 7 12:12:56 EDT 2015

Hi All.

I have a font menu built with a pull-down type button that works fine, but
the number of system fonts makes finding one a chore for the user. I have
three refinements in mind, but I'm not sure if they are possible.

1) Is it possible to get a fonts list from the system (or parse one) that
results in a fonts list of font family names with branching submenus for
each family's variations?

2) Can a pull-down menu jump to the first item on the list that starts with
a letter the user has typed?

3) When the pull down menu is triggered, I'd like it to automatically scroll
to the position of the currently selected font. But my method for that
failed: get the line # of the the current font name, multiply that by the
formattedHeight of line 1 of button "Fonts" [that's what triggers error
"Object does not have this property"], then set the vscroll of button
"Fonts" to the pixel count.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (BTW, this is for Mac and Windows,
not mobile.)

Tom Bodine