Please recommend a text editor

Simon Knight simon at smknight.co.uk
Sun Apr 5 04:14:17 EDT 2015

Richmond,

You raise some interesting and in some ways disturbing questions. Why
are we seemingly locked into an endless cycle of replacing working
equipment with new more expensive versions?  In early days the
improvements were real with greater storage and improved graphics.  I
bought my first Apple because Acorn Ltd stopped making computers and I
could not figure out what I "needed" in a Windows PC.  Initially I was
happy to upgrade both hardware and software as OSX improved but then
Lion was issued and Apple entered a phase of stagnation coupled with the
removal of features such as Rosetta.

Unlike you I have purchased a machine running MAC OS Y ("Black Hills of
Dakota") and its quite like Mountain Lion only with blue buttons. Where
possible I have switched off many of the "new exciting" but pointless
features such as transparency.  The down sides have been many, most
notable being  my new  computer will not run the older version of Apple
Pages and the new version will not open older files, not that surprising
perhaps but it has made me review how I store information for the long
term.  Also, many of my home movies no longer run as the new Quicktime
does not recognise the file formats (Its QUICKTIME you dumb piece of
S**T!) (yes I know quicktime is a container format but why have they
dropped old formats - have they run out of resources?).

The upshot is that I am unlikely to purchase a new Mac, especially as I
am certain it will have been dumbed down to the level of IOS and have a
finger painting interface included.  I suspect that I will either give
Windows a try or take a leap into the unknown world of Linux.

I apologise for raving on and I think I did warn against getting me
started but the bottom line is I agree with you.

best wishes

Simon