Please release me, let me go.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 05:03:07 EDT 2015

Just to be awkward (for a change . . . no irony intended), if 6.7.4 is
built so that it will run
on Windows XP [ a system released in 2001 ] why is it not built so that
it can run on
Mac OS 10.4 PPC [ a system released in 2005 ], or, for that matter, Mac
OS 10.4 Intel?

It is, also, interesting to note that the first alpha build of LC 8 is
also capable of running on Windows XP.

The reply will, inevitably, consist of stuff about market share . . .
which is probably due to a bad
case of not thinking one's way through a load of statistics.

The rationale behind dropping support for an out-dated operating system,
surely, should not
be based on the global installed base of that operating system, but the
globally installed base
of that operating system who use LiveCode for software development, and
the clients to whom
they sell/give their standalones for deployment.

------------------

I have no particular beef with Windows XP [in fact, if truth be known, I
have a dual boot
machine that runs Win XP and Win 7 - on two 40 Gig Hard drives] for
software testing.

I do have big beefs with Windows 95, 98, Millennium and Vista . . . but
I think quite a lot of other
people do as well.

------------------

This posting is NOT to try to pursuade RunRev to dig out all their PPC
code and spend donkey's ages
compiling PPC builds while softly chanting "bloody, bloody Richmond"
sotto voce.

It IS, again, again, again, a request to make available these:

1. The last version of RR/LC to run and/or build Mac OS 9 standalones.

2. The last version of RR/LC to run and/or build Mac OS X PPC
standalones on Mac OS 10.4.

either for free or for a modest fee, with some legal disclaimer that
paraphrases as
"you're on your own, mate".