AW: AW: How to create an OS X 10.9 alias by script?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 25 10:55:49 EDT 2014

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:
> quitting and activating the Dock via AppleScript also works, but shows just
> the same behavior. All minimized apps get into front, even the dock shows
> more "action"

One of the reasons Apple provides no straightforward way for an app to
add its icon to the Dock may be that historically they consider the Dock
as user-controlled element, something they prefer apps don't alter.

While the current HIG no longer includes an explicit recommendation
against an app adding its icon to the Dock, the App Store submission
guidelines do:

2.28  Apps that add their icons to the Dock or leave short cuts on
       the user desktop will be rejected
<https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/mac/#functionality>

This seems reasonable enough when we consider how cramped the Dock would
quickly become if every app we installed added its icon there.

With Exposé, the Applications flyout panel, and the user's ability to
move your icon into the persistent space in the Dock when it's running,
there are plenty of ways users can get to your app when they want to -
one less thing to have to worry about in development. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems