Re: Q: Standalone with drag and drop works on one Windows machine but not two others… why?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Sep 23 15:32:57 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM, stymie at roguemusic.com <
stymie at roguemusic.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input but no solution yet.
>
> The user has admin privileges and the app can create and write new files
> to its default folder with no problem.
>
> Escape key doesn’t seem to make a difference, but what is it supposed to
> do anyway? Maybe there’s something there.

There is an odd issue on Windows that occurs for a lot of people (not just
for LiveCode apps). Drag and drop basically stops working and pressing the
escape key fixes it. Based on your description I don't think it will help,
however, as you see the problem after a restart.

For whatever reason, it works perfectly on my Win7 test machine, but not on
> the other two.
> Maybe they don’t have the right Trojans installed?

Perhaps it would be worth gathering some more information on the machines
that don't work. You might modify your handles so that they provide some
extra information. For example, here are your handlers with some slight
modifications that provide some feedback and let you do some debugging.

on dragEnter
   -- set the allowabledragactions to "copy,link" # you should't be setting
this here. This is only used in dragStart if you are offering up draggable
data
   set the dragAction to "copy"
   set the hilite of me to true
end dragEnter

on dragDrop
   if the dragdata["files"] is not empty then beep # some audio feedback
   set the clipboardData to the dragdata["files"] # paste this into Notepad
and see what the value is

   if the dragdata["files"] is not empty then put the dragdata["files"]
into gDroppedData
   DoMyStuff
end dragDrop

--