Q: Standalone with drag and drop works on one Windows machine but not two others… why?

stymie at roguemusic.com stymie at roguemusic.com
Sun Sep 21 16:54:57 EDT 2014

Q: Standalone with drag and drop works on one Windows machine but not two others… why?

The code is like this:

on dragEnter
   set the allowabledragactions to "copy,link"
   set the dragAction to "copy"
   set the hilite of me to true
end dragEnter

on dragDrop
   if the dragdata["files"] is not empty then put the dragdata["files"] into gDroppedData
   DoMyStuff
end dragDrop

This code works fine on my Macs, and fine on a laptop running Windows 7; but on another Windows 7 laptop, and yet another running Windows 8, the stop sign cursor appears when I drag a folder to the button.

The desktop behavior shows the drag being interpreted, with the cursor changing to the "Copy" icon, but when it gets to my app's window it's a stop sign. Yet, on the other Windows 7 machine it's perfect.

It's more annoying that it works on one Windows than if it worked on none!

Thanks for any help.

Joe F.