large arrays

larry at significantplanet.org larry at significantplanet.org
Fri Sep 19 14:19:06 EDT 2014

Hello Richard,
Here are the numbers:

I wrote a program that is an anagram finder several years ago using Rev 2.9
and had NO problems with the arrays.
As I mentioned, it choked starting with Rev 3.5 and every iteration of Rev
or LC that I've tried since, up to the current 6.1.1 (rc 4)
I haven't tried it in LC 7.0 yet.

I have a hidden stack with my word fields in it - for words in length from 2
to 12.  The word lists are optimized with a key for faster searching.
When the program loads, it puts each of the 11 word list fields into one
array - which takes about 1 second on my XP with 4gb of ram.
The word lists vary in length (3-ltr words is 1292 lines & the largest,
9-ltr words, is 40,727 lines.)  Each line in all the lists averages less
than 100 characters.
The size of the field for 9-ltr words is 796kb if copied into a txt
document.

My old computer that I wrote the original program on with Rev 2.9 had less
than 1gb of ram, so I don't think that is the issue.

If I put in a 9 letter word such as ELEPHANTS, the program will find all
anagrams (words found within the letters of ELEPHANTS) in about 4/10 of a
second. The time varies slightly depending on whatever else is going on with
my computer.  That's a total of 596 words with my word lists and the program
lists words and the number of words for each word length from 9 to 2.

So the compiled version of my program works very satisfactorily.  I'm now
adding some other features to the program and, as I said, it is like trying
to program on a typewriter that is full of mud.

I spoke to someone at RunRev years ago and they acknowledged that there was
an issue with arrays.  Maybe it has been fixed in 7.0, but I haven't tried
that yet.

If you have any additional insights, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Larry