share in-memory SQLite db with other apps

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:56:14 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> Don't think that's possible since the memory used in your application's
> memory space.  There is a shared cache setting but I think that only
> applies to multiple sqlite dbs open in the same application and it needs to
> use the URI file format which LC doesn't fully support yet.

It's also occurred to me that I really *don't* want the direct access.

My purpose is to export to mail-merge documents, and possibly
spreadsheets.  As my software calculates dependencies when data changes,
there could be no writing from the word processor without losing this
(unless I went on an intensive watch of the data), and I couldn't control
values.  Also, some intelligence is needed for the rendered value, which
would be a bit much for a word processor.

Twenty five years ago (Ulp!  did I just write that???), I had HyperCard
writing two files--back when word allowed its own files to simply specify
filenames, rather than forcing the pointy/clicky/fieldy/linky abomination
of Word 6 onwards . . .  (Which is *so* bad that when I needed to send out
two hundred semi-custom letters, I realized that it would take less time to
write the code to add mail merge to LyX than to fight word.  And I was
write; in less than a week, I had a far more functional merge
operation--nested includes [the included text got processed after
inclusion], if elseif, a couple of other comparators, and I forget what
else.  Unfortunately, the source code seems long gone; I've never been able
to find it, and have merely a pentium era linux executable)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462