Download and Run Stacks - Can Do On Mobile?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Sep 13 13:07:06 EDT 2014

Charles E Buchwald wrote:
 > I've been working on a system that is basically a magazine reader. My
 > iOS "player" contains all the code. It downloads a ZIP archive with
 > an XML file that contains all the content, plus the media assets.
 >
 > If I need to add functionality of any kind, I'll update the iOS
 > player, even if it's only interactivity that I plan on using in the
 > future.
 >
 > This isn't quite as flexible as the kind of arrangement that Richard
 > is talking about here, but it's still pretty clean and versatile. Of
 > course it works on other platforms, too.

AFAIK*, it should be allowable to even use stack files as content
containers, provided they include no executable code.

This is a odd area though, since it's possible to set up a system of
behaviors in which one could submit an app with one set of
functionality, and later download behavior-driven stack files that
include no code but completely alter the functionality of the software.

I haven't read Apple's iOS SDK license since way back when they
backpedaled on the earlier provenance clause in SDK 4.0 (section 3.3.1).

It would be helpful if any of you who have read the current terms could
comment on the state of Apple's policies with regard to code and content
downloaded within the app outside of Apple's app store.

If they still prohibit sharing executable code, it would seem only a
matter of time before they discover that's what Novocard does, and ban
it from their app stores as they have with other apps they'd previously
approved.

But if they continue to allow Novocard after policy review, that should
mean we have the same privileges, opening the door to delivering some
pretty exciting apps with the same ease and flexibility we enjoy on all
other platforms.

* Disclaimer required by the State of California:  "I am not an
attorney.  If you need the services of an attorney you should consult a
professional licensed to practice law in your area."

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems