Slowdown when putting symbols into image data

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Sep 9 17:50:05 EDT 2014

On 9/9/2014, 4:28 PM, William Prothero wrote:
 > Jacqueline: Sounds like a good idea. I don’t see how, though, that
 > you would be able to display a LOT of identical symbols on a map
 > using a single polygon graphic. Don’t you have to create and place
 > each one? That would mean thousands of graphic objects. Is that what
 > you mean?

Oh no, not at all. Not having thousands of objects is exactly the reason
to choose graphic objects.

Every point on a graphic can display a marker which is just a small
image you provide. If you set the linesize of the graphic to 0, the
lines don't show, all you see are the markers. Then you just make a list
of the locations, one per point, one point per line, and set the
graphic's points property to that list.

The graphic can cover as much area as you need, it can sprawl all over
the card. All you see are the points, and each point is a symbol image.
The only restriction is that a graphic can only show one type of marker,
so you'll need a different graphic for each symbol image you want to
display. In my case, I had five symbols, so I needed five graphics. But
each graphic had hundreds of points.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com