How To: Manage columns of data (was Re: How To: Delete columns of data)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Sep 6 23:45:07 EDT 2014

On 9/6/2014, 6:53 PM, JB wrote:
> I would like to clarify the part about the attack from MacKeeper
> preventing me from accessing my bank account.  I mentioned
> that I was also taken to MacKeeper instead of the websites I
> wanted to go to.
>
> The attempt to go to other websites was done from my home
> page which was Google.
>
> The attempt to access my bank account was done from my
> banks web site which is Bank of America.  I would click the
> button to sign in and instead of taking me to the next sign in
> step I would see advertisements preventing me from logging
> into my account.

This sounds much like a DNS changer trojan. It redirects your internet
browsing to other fake sites, usually to scrape your passwords and login
data. Neither Google or your bank would be the culprit; instead
something would have changed the DNS settings on your computer.

MacKeeper is probaby not the problem. It's gotten a bad rap from some
users but authorities say it's legitimate and does what it's supposed
to. MacDefender, however, is malware and is sometimes confused with
MacKeeper. There is other similar malware out there too. If you have
kept up with system updates, OS X has a built-in security scan that
eliminates MacDefender, but you may have contracted something else.

The main point here is that the web sites you visited aren't the
problem. The problem is more likely on your computer, and it sounds like
something is redirecting your web browsing to other look-alike sites.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com