NOT using a proxy with 6.7 on Windows...

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Sep 5 10:46:50 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Malte Brill <revolution at derbrill.de> wrote:

> ok, this will be fun to debug :-(
> What I found out is that the registry is used to make the machines aware
> of using the proxy.
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Internet
> Settings
>
> This has two keys, one for the proxy and one for the exceptions. In the
> exceptions the entry for not using the proxy is
>
> ProxyOverride 10.*
>
> Would it be helpful to use wireshark to record what happens?

I don't think you will need to use wireshark to troubleshoot this.

Does the URL you are requesting start with 10.?

If so, it may be that libURL is not picking up the bypass list properly. If
you look at libURL, you will see the _proxyConfig_ConfigureBypassList
command. This attempts to build the bypass list. If the proxy is enabled
for the user settings then the list is taken
from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ProxyOverride. If not, then the proxy enabled is checked for the
system and the list is taken
from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ProxyOverride.

I just did a quick test where I set the internal libURL bypass list to
"10.*". I then called libURLURLBypassesProxy("http://10.1.1.1/myurl.html")
which returned true (meaning no proxy should be assigned). So I think
libURL should set the proxy to empty in that case assuming libURL is
getting the bypass list properly.

You might try updating libURL and sending a new build to the customer. I
would do the following:

Update libURLSetProxyBypassList to this:

command libURLSetProxyBypassList pList
   replace ";" with LF in pList
   ulLogIt "setting proxy bypass list:" && lvProxyBypassList & cr
   put pList into lvProxyBypassList
end libURLSetProxyBypassList

Now your internet logging routine will report if the bypass list is being
set. If not, then we know libURL isn't picking up the settings properly and
we know where to look to find out why.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps