OT: How to serve a 8GB download?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:01:47 EDT 2014

On 31/10/14 17:53, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> Probably too late to talk about how to package your data, which is likely the reason it is so big. I suspect it contains a lot of images or other kinds of media.
>
> You might consider however, packaging your media separately from the application itself, then have the app on launch begin to sync the media from a web server. If that is impractical, then I would say a password protected zip file, where the password is the license key (if you have implemented one).
>
> It used to be in ages gone by that zip files were broken up into smaller pieces because modem transport of large files was inherently unreliable. These days it’s rare that a download will fail due to the transport. I wouldn’t do multipart zips if you can help it, unless your target market is Botswana where they are still using 14.4 modems. ;-)
>
> Bob S

I wonder if what you have written isn't a tad discriminatory?

http://testmy.net/country/bw   Botswana Average Download Speed: 876 Kbps
(110 kB/s)

Botswana Average Upload Speed: 127 Kbps (16 kB/s)

Bulgaria Average Download Speed:  BG average 9 Mbps

Bulgaria Average Upload Speed: BG average 4.7 Mbps

That DOES make Botswana look fairly crappy . . .

But I wonder what sort of speeds one would get with a 14.4 modem?

Certainly my one in Carbondale, Illinois, USE (1993) took 5 hours to
download 2 MB!

Richmond.