externalizing data

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 29 17:39:58 EDT 2014

Timothy Miller wrote:

 > On Oct 25, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> I tend to externalize my data, paging it in and out of controls
 >> in a single card
 >
 > What does it mean to externalize data by paging it in and out of
 > controls in a single card?
 >
 > A wild guess: It means keeping the data in an external database,
 > swapping data from card to database and vice-versa, with an LC
 > script. Correct?

Yep.

 > With a large database, it's going to be faster. Any other advantages?

Freedom.

By storing the data separately from the UI, I can make changes to each
without affecting the other.

In the old HyperCard days I used to store data in fields, but then I had
to ship a new version with a very different interface, which meant
writing a complicated export/import routine, and encumbering the user
with having to run it before they could use the new features.

These days, with the data stored separately, I have the freedom to add
anything I want to the UI, and when the user gets it their old data just
opens up in without any extra effort on their part.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems