LC, Yosemite, and keyboards

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Mon Oct 27 16:52:03 EDT 2014

I recently moved to Yosemite. And yesterday I did accidentally change my keyboard from Swiss-French to American without noticing (probably pressing together option-control-space) when working with LC. It was I tried to put an option-char in the label box of a button inspector. After that, the American keyboard was selected each time I was in the inspector, but reversed to the Swiss-French one when the focus was in the other LC windows (stack window, application browser, message…).

After a long time scratching my head and pulling out my hairs, I discovered a check-box in the system prefs > keyboard > input source, labelled “automatically switch to a document input source”. It is visible, I read, only when you have several languages selected. If it is the case (and if you are a careless typist), each LC window can finish with its own keyboard setting.

In conclusion, to avoid to type “Zes” instead of “Yes”, better to uncheck this option…

Prof. Jacques Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biophore / Sorge
University of Lausanne